Senior Back End Engineer
What is Bilt?
Bilt Rewards is the first program for consumers to earn rewards on rent and daily neighborhood spend while creating a path towards home ownership.
With an alliance of the nation’s largest real estate owners, Bilt Rewards enables renters in more than three million units across the country to earn points just by paying rent.
Bilt Rewards boasts one of the highest value rewards programs on the market today, including one-to-one point transfers to twelve loyalty programs allowing members to travel across more than 100 major airlines and hotel partners; fitness classes at the country’s top boutique studios; limited-edition and exclusive collections of art and home decor through the Bilt Collection, and the ability to use points for rent credits or towards a future downpayment.
Bilt has also partnered with Mastercard to create the Bilt Mastercard - the first and only credit card that can be used to pay rent with no fees
What’s the role?
As a Senior Back End Engineer at Bilt, you’ll join a renowned team that is transforming the future of renting. You will be responsible for designing, implementing and documenting the back-end services for the Bilt mobile app and website while coaching and mentoring junior resources and collaborating with other team members and stakeholders. You will also drive best practices, ensure the technical feasibility of integrations and optimize the application for maximum speed, scalability and reliability.
In this role you will:
- Investigate and utilize Google Cloud Platform services to continuously improve application architecture
- Implement microservices using Java and Quarkus framework
- Propose and enhance automation initiatives related to infrastructure as code, CI/CD, monitoring and alerting
- Contribute in all phases of the development lifecycle
- Write well-designed, testable and efficient code
- Become a foundational member of our team, working alongside the Head of Engineering and Head of Product
In terms of qualifications, we’re seeking:
- 6+ years of experience
- Proven hands-on Software Development experience
- Demonstrable experience in Java development
- Experience w/ Google Cloud Platform and/or AWS or Azure
- Great interpersonal skills and a team player
- A burning desire to win and reach overall company goals
- Flexibility - we are disrupting an industry so changes to traditional processes should be expected
- Knowledge of the start-up world preferred
- Compensation - We offer a competitive salary with a meaningful stake in the company via equity and our performance bonus program
- Health insurance for you (& your loved ones) from day one - Enjoy a One Medical Membership, wellness stipends, family programs and more, on us. We’ve got you and your family covered from day one.
- 401k plan with a match - Retirement may feel more like a pipe dream than a reality but we’re here to help you get there.
- Commuter FSAs - We believe the best ideas come from being together in one place. We just don’t think getting there should be so expensive.
- UNLIMITED PTO - Because we believe that working hard shouldn’t mean always working. Take time for yourself as often as you need it.
- Exclusive Employee only Bilt Points - We give our employees unique opportunities to earn points throughout their time at Bilt.
- Team Events - We believe in human connection so we hold events to help our employees break from the monotony of the typical work week.
At Bilt Rewards, we believe in transparency and we do our best to make sure the company and our candidates are on the same page as it relates to compensation. In addition to posting salary ranges for our open roles, candidates should expect to be asked about compensation expectations and requirements early on in their interview process. Our goal is to highlight when expectations and Bilt’s salary range may be out of sync, and work with the candidate to determine whether it makes sense to continue conversations.
We are considering candidates with differing levels of expertise for this position. Leveling will be based upon your experience and performance in the interview process.
Where a new hire falls within a range will be based on their individual skills and experience, and how these competencies compare across other employees in the same role. Bilt's bands are designed to allow for individual compensation growth within the role. As such, new hires typically start at the lower end of the range. Bilt rewards performance and outcomes - should you join the company, you will have the opportunity to grow your salary over time.
The salary range for a Senior Backend Engineer is $175,000-$225,000 and will be eligible for equity and an annual performance based bonus.