Senior Backend Engineer - (m/w/d)
To solve one of our generation's largest problems, we need the world’s best talent.
Our vision is to enable a sustainable food system. Our technology is already enabling thousands of restaurants, wholesalers, and producers across 7 countries to operate waste-free and efficiently. Yet, this is a drop into the ocean. We just started. Our goal to connect the global food system is extremely ambitious and complex. A problem of this magnitude and complexity requires a massive scale and only the best people will be able to solve it. We are gathering the best people globally together in order to succeed in our mission. Are you in?
For us, it is always team-first. Teams in which everyone subordinates their individual success to the team's success will win against teams that don't. Can you put your ego aside?
We are looking for the hungry underdogs that will rather fail than not try. We look for humility because it makes us learn faster. And we look for people who understand that hard work is necessary and that shortcuts don’t exist. We are playing the long game and want to build a truly generational company.
Our mission requires us to be fast. We believe that urgency is a mindset. We look for people who act with speed in everything they do, yet never lose sight of the bigger picture.
Fun plays an important role. We want to succeed and celebrate when we do. It is important to us that our people form real bonds in and outside of work.
We have no small plans, we are assembling a championship team, with people that take real ownership of our company’s long-term success. If you feel this is for you, then deep inside you, you might be already one of us.
See what we’ve been up to: bit.ly/3BX0kYj
What you will do
Here at Choco, we like to use the space shuttle as a metaphor for our engineering work. Now, you will join and help us bring the shuttle to the moon. We are just launching several new cross-functional teams focusing on implementing business-critical product features and all related functionalities across our mobile and web platforms. You will take end to end ownership for delivering the solution, ensuring it is performant, secure, compliant and stable. We will rely on your technical expertise, architecture skills and mentoring abilities to move both the product and the team closer to our goals.
On a daily basis, you will:
- Work with our backend team to enhance its event-driven microservice architecture inside of the AWS-ecosystem in order to help our web and mobile products give the best experience to its users.
- Work on our API layer, which utilizes Amazon’s managed GraphQL service called AppSync - one of Amazon’s latest technologies.
- Continuously contribute to our TypeScript codebase to improve our code base, systems and processes.
- Architect services using DDD principles and patterns to allow autonomous development and future scaling.
- Operate and maintain the services your team owns in order to meet our user's expectations
- Share your knowledge, develop expertise in our product and grow with your team to become an even greater engineer.
Our tech stack in Backend Engineering
We have a cutting-edge environment and use NodeJS and TypeScript in combination with NestJS framework, GraphQL, AWS DynamoDB and PostgresQL. Our infrastructure is powered by various AWS serverless technologies such as SNS,SQS,Lambda, and AppSync.. We are also actively investing in our containerized architecture with EKS (Kubernetes). For infrastructure management we use AWS CDK and Helm.
What you will need to have an impact with us:
- 5+ years experience as a backend developer, ideally with NodeJS and production experience in TypeScript
- Experience with high load microservices, event-driven architecture, integrations and developing APIs
- Proven experience writing clean code, applying design patterns and creating scalable, and maintainable code
- Strong knowledge in system designs and software architectures
- Experience using system monitoring tools (e.g. Datadog) and automated testing frameworks
- Ability to drive and deliver large features and projects in an agile environment
- Strong communication skills combined with influence and eagerness to share and develop others. Good learning ability, open-mindedness and good self-organizational skills will be absolutely key to the success of your work and the business overall.
You will impress us even more if you have
- Experience being a part of or driving complex refactorings within or beyond the team boundaries
- Experience working with large GraphQL schemas following best practices
- Experience working with Lambda functions and serverless architecture
- Experience working with and applying DDD patterns in practice
- Experience building real-time communication services
We invite you to take part in the following selection process:
- Introduction call: a Tech Recruiter will tell you more about Choco, our Tech Org and get to know your work, background, interests and you as a person better.
- Hiring Manager interview: You will meet your potential manager and discuss the mission, challenges and goals of the team. We would like to see how you collaborate on building the most amazing product for your customers
- Pair Programming Interview: during this stage we want to get deeper into your technical knowledge. Next to some technical questions you will work together with another engineer in a pair programming exercise.
- System Design Interview: Together with our engineers you will do a system design exercise to test your skills (whiteboard session).
- Culture interview: You will meet other engineering leaders to discuss about the Choco culture and your non-technical contribution to Choco
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is made available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Choco was founded in Berlin in 2018 and has since expanded to a team of over 400 committed Chocorians working from Choco offices in the US, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the UK, and Spain. Our ordering app is used by over 15K buyers and over 10K suppliers around the globe - processing hundreds of thousands of tons of food every month.
We raised over $280mn from some of the world’s best investors like Bessemer Venture Partners, Insight Partners, Coatue Management, and LeftLane Capital. We are the first unicorn to reduce food waste.
We’re working alongside those who built companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Rocket Internet, and more.
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.