Senior Frontend Engineer
To solve one of our generation's largest problems, we need the world’s best talent.
Our vision is to enable a sustainable food system. Our technology is already enabling thousands of restaurants, wholesalers, and producers across 7 countries to operate waste-free and efficiently. Yet, this is a drop into the ocean. We just started. Our goal to connect the global food system is extremely ambitious and complex. A problem of this magnitude and complexity requires a massive scale and only the best people will be able to solve it. We are gathering the best people globally together in order to succeed in our mission. Are you in?
For us, it is always team-first. Teams in which everyone subordinates their individual success to the team's success will win against teams that don't. Can you put your ego aside?
We are looking for the hungry underdogs that will rather fail than not try. We look for humility because it makes us learn faster. And we look for people who understand that hard work is necessary and that shortcuts don’t exist. We are playing the long game and want to build a truly generational company.
Our mission requires us to be fast. We believe that urgency is a mindset. We look for people who act with speed in everything they do, yet never lose sight of the bigger picture.
Fun plays an important role. We want to succeed and celebrate when we do. It is important to us that our people form real bonds in and outside of work.
We have no small plans, we are assembling a championship team, with people that take real ownership of our company’s long-term success. If you feel this is for you, then deep inside you, you might be already one of us.
See what we’ve been up to: bit.ly/3BX0kYj
With technology at the core of our work, our engineers are driven by quality. Our chat-based ordering app has already changed the game for thousands of restaurants and suppliers across the globe, but there is much more work to be done. And that’s where we need your help. If you’re looking to be at the intersection of purpose and innovation, we’d love to hear from you.
Meet your team
We have cross-functional teams focusing on implementing business-critical, user-facing product features across our mobile and web platforms. Your main mission will be to to build and deliver a range of product features related to the onboarding of our customers. You will work with the Product Manager, Product Designer, and Tech lead to understand how to build and implement new features and functionality keeping scalability and high-quality in focus.
Our working model reflects a balance between the highly collaborative nature of our business and modern-day flexibility. As a culture-first company, we believe in the power of in-person collaboration. We look forward to seeing you in our Berlin office at least 3 days a week.
What you will do
Here at Choco, we like to use the space shuttle as a metaphor for our engineering work. Now, you will join and help us bring the shuttle to the moon by helping us achieve maximum operational efficiency. We are launching a new cross-functional team focused on building and maintaining internal tools for other Chocorians. We will rely on your technical expertise, web and backend architecture skills and collaboration to move the product and the team closer to our goals. On a daily basis, you will:
- Work in a cross-functional team in an agile environment together with a Tech Lead/Engineering Manager, product manager, product designer, frontend, mobile, and backend engineers.
- Implement modern frontend solutions in ReactJS based on a distributed architecture
- Operate the services your team owns in order to meet our user's expectations
- Work with our backend team to enhance its event-driven microservice architecture inside of the AWS ecosystem in order to help our web and mobile products give the best experience to their users.
- Work with our API layer, which utilizes Amazon’s managed GraphQL service called AppSync - one of Amazon’s latest technologies.
- Contribute to our TypeScript codebase.
Our tech stack:
For frontend, we use ReactJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, Cypress, Jest, Styled Components, and Micro-frontends.
For backend, we have a cutting-edge environment and use NodeJS, TypeScript, GraphQL, AWS DynamoDB and our infrastructure is powered by AWS SNS, AWS SQS, AWS Lambda, AWS AppSync, AWS CloudFormation, AWS CodePipeline and AWS S3.
What you will need to have an impact
- 5+ years experience as a frontend developer, with at least 3+ years of experience in delivering global and scalable web solutions with React
- You are fluent in Typescript and keen on trying out new technologies
- Experience with working with testing frameworks like Jest, React Testing Library, Cypress, and a believer of TDD
- Proven experience with AWS and in building resilient and scalable infrastructure
- Know how to write clean code, apply design patterns and unit testing
- Ability to drive and deliver large features and projects spanning across multiple sprints.
- Ability to identify, and articulate issues and take ownership for delivering practical solutions, while prioritising tasks effectively.
- Strong communication skills combined with influence and eagerness to share and develop others
- Good learning ability, open-mindedness and good self-organizational skills will be absolutely key to the success of your work and the business overall.
- Experience with microservices, event-driven architecture, integrations and developing APIs (please do not apply if you don't have experience with Microservices)
- Knowledge of system designs and software architectures
You will impress us even more if you have
- Experience with Micro Frontends
- Experience with AWS services
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- Experience with GraphQL or AppSync
- Experience working with Serverless architecture
Choco was founded in Berlin in 2018 and has since expanded to a team of over 400 committed Chocorians working from Choco offices in the US, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the UK, and Spain. Our ordering app is used by over 15K buyers and over 10K suppliers around the globe - processing hundreds of thousands of tons of food every month.
We raised over $280mn from some of the world’s best investors like Bessemer Venture Partners, Insight Partners, Coatue Management, and LeftLane Capital. We are the first unicorn to reduce food waste.
We’re working alongside those who built companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Rocket Internet, and more.
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.