Head/Director of Accounting & Tax (m/w/d)
To solve one of our generation's largest problems, we need the world’s best talent.
Our vision is to enable a sustainable food system. Our technology is already enabling thousands of restaurants, wholesalers, and producers across 7 countries to operate waste-free and efficiently. Yet, this is a drop into the ocean. We just started. Our goal to connect the global food system is extremely ambitious and complex. A problem of this magnitude and complexity requires a massive scale and only the best people will be able to solve it. We are gathering the best people globally together in order to succeed in our mission. Are you in?
For us, it is always team-first. Teams in which everyone subordinates their individual success to the team's success will win against teams that don't. Can you put your ego aside?
We are looking for the hungry underdogs that will rather fail than not try. We look for humility because it makes us learn faster. And we look for people who understand that hard work is necessary and that shortcuts don’t exist. We are playing the long game and want to build a truly generational company.
Our mission requires us to be fast. We believe that urgency is a mindset. We look for people who act with speed in everything they do, yet never lose sight of the bigger picture.
Fun plays an important role. We want to succeed and celebrate when we do. It is important to us that our people form real bonds in and outside of work.
We have no small plans, we are assembling a championship team, with people that take real ownership of our company’s long-term success. If you feel this is for you, then deep inside you, you might be already one of us.
See what we’ve been up to: bit.ly/3BX0kYj
Choco provides a centralised platform connecting restaurants and suppliers. The result is better communication, simplified logistics, and - here comes the big one - less food waste. We aim to contribute to a transparent, sustainable, waste-free global food chain by 2030.
Our chat-based ordering app has already changed the game for thousands of restaurants and suppliers across the globe, but there is much more work to be done. And that’s where we need your help. If you’re looking to be at the intersection of purpose and innovation, we’d love to hear from you.
Meet your team
As Head/Director of Accounting & Tax, you will play a key role in overseeing the accounting and tax functions of Choco, ensuring compliance with international and local financial regulations, and providing strategic financial guidance to support the company's growth and objectives.
You will manage an agile and dynamic team of 7 highly skilled team members across Europe and the US who are eager to learn and grow alongside an inspiring leader like you. You will report directly to the Global Director of Finance of the Choco Group and will have significant direct interaction with the CFO.
What you will do
- Leadership and Management: Lead the accounting and tax team, ensuring a high level of performance and professional development of team members.
- Financial Reporting and Compliance: Oversee the preparation of financial statements and audits in compliance with IFRS and local GAAP. Ensure tax compliance and optimise tax strategies in alignment with international tax principles and German tax laws.
- Process Improvement and Implementation: Implement robust accounting systems and processes to improve efficiency, accuracy, and control.
- Stakeholder Management: Act as a key point of contact for external auditors, tax authorities, and other financial stakeholders. Build and maintain strong relationships with internal departments.
- Transfer Pricing: Develop and manage transfer pricing policies and documentation in compliance with international and local regulations. Ensure that all intercompany transactions are appropriately priced and documented, minimising tax risks and enhancing operational efficiency.
- IPO Readiness: Prepare the accounting structure for a potential IPO. This includes ensuring that financial reporting is in line with the standards required for public companies and implementing necessary controls and processes.
What we’re looking for
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
- At least 6 years of experience in a reputable accounting and tax firm, with a minimum of 3 years in a leadership role.
- At least 2 years of experience in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Profound knowledge of IFRS, German GAAP, and German tax laws is desirable.
- Proficiency in English language.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Energetic, curious and collaborative individual who thrives in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Preferably based and able to work from Berlin. However, this role has flexibility regarding the location.
Choco was founded in Berlin in 2018 and has since expanded to a team of over 400 committed Chocorians working from Choco offices in the US, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the UK, and Spain. Our ordering app is used by over 15K buyers and over 10K suppliers around the globe - processing hundreds of thousands of tons of food every month.
We raised over $280mn from some of the world’s best investors like Bessemer Venture Partners, Insight Partners, Coatue Management, and LeftLane Capital. We are the first unicorn to reduce food waste.
We’re working alongside those who built companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Rocket Internet, and more.
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.