Senior Data Platform Engineer - ML/AI Platform (m/w/d)
To solve one of our generation's largest problems, we need the world’s best talent.
Our vision is to enable a sustainable food system. Our technology is already enabling thousands of restaurants, wholesalers, and producers across 7 countries to operate waste-free and efficiently. Yet, this is a drop into the ocean. We just started. Our goal to connect the global food system is extremely ambitious and complex. A problem of this magnitude and complexity requires a massive scale and only the best people will be able to solve it. We are gathering the best people globally together in order to succeed in our mission. Are you in?
For us, it is always team-first. Teams in which everyone subordinates their individual success to the team's success will win against teams that don't. Can you put your ego aside?
We are looking for the hungry underdogs that will rather fail than not try. We look for humility because it makes us learn faster. And we look for people who understand that hard work is necessary and that shortcuts don’t exist. We are playing the long game and want to build a truly generational company.
Our mission requires us to be fast. We believe that urgency is a mindset. We look for people who act with speed in everything they do, yet never lose sight of the bigger picture.
Fun plays an important role. We want to succeed and celebrate when we do. It is important to us that our people form real bonds in and outside of work.
We have no small plans, we are assembling a championship team, with people that take real ownership of our company’s long-term success. If you feel this is for you, then deep inside you, you might be already one of us.
See what we’ve been up to: bit.ly/3BX0kYj
About the team
Join our innovative team at Choco, where we push the boundaries of technology and creativity to solve real-world problems of our customers. Our vision is to empower every value-adding business across the food supply chain with our technology. It allows them to run their business more efficiently, increase their profitability by eliminating waste and decrease their costs by automating processes.
In the past few months, we have started making significant investments in extending our data platform for ML and AI use cases. Our data platform mission is to enable Choco with infrastructure and tooling related to capturing, ingesting, storing and processing data to work towards our company mission. As part of our centralized data platform team, we are in search of a seasoned, autonomous and innovative new team member that can complement our set of skills with experience in building machine learning systems.
In this role, ownership and initiative are foundational. From the outset, you'll be entrusted with significant responsibility. Your ability to self-direct, engage with technical and non-technical stakeholders will be essential. We value individuals who can quickly turn challenges into stepping stones, driving our mission forward with every solution crafted.
What you’ll do
- Become a key contributor to our data platform, working with a highly motivated team to spread the “data as a product” mindset across the entire company by empowering with infrastructure and expanding tooling and education
- Own, define, plan, and deliver data projects while collaborating cross-functionally with several teams
- Work closely with our data scientists to design and build scalable machine learning systems
- Mentor other data engineers to strengthen core team knowledge
- Construct the bridge between our product and data platform, impacting core features and our user base
What we’re looking for
- Proven Experience: Demonstrable expertise as a data engineer and first hands-on experience with state-of-the-art LLMs like GPT-4 and how to deploy them safely in production environments.
- Technical Skills: Proficiency in Python, SQL, Spark with the ability to weave technology and innovation into solutions. Proven experience building data platforms and infrastructure. Confidence in using technologies like AWS, Airflow, dbt, Presto, Databricks, Redshift, Looker or similar
- Ownership Mindset: The capacity to take complete ownership of projects, driving them from ideation to completion with excellence, keeping the end-user in mind
You impress us even more if you have
- Experience in building reliable data platform in a fast paced start-up environment
- Experience in developing and optimizing language model-based applications, including conversational agents, Retrieval-Augmented Generation (RAG) models and chatbots, using development frameworks like LangChain
- Experience with DynamoDB or other key-value stores
We look forward to seeing you in the office a minimum of three days per week.
Being together in person is an important part of our company culture. We’ve found that spending time as a team enables collaboration, participation, and engagement that leads to innovation, faster execution, and shared ownership. Plus, we see the value of camaraderie and genuinely enjoy our time together.
Need a better idea of who we are? Take a video tour of our headquarters in Berlin.
Choco was founded in Berlin in 2018 and has since expanded to a team of over 400 committed Chocorians working from Choco offices in the US, France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, the UK, and Spain. Our ordering app is used by over 15K buyers and over 10K suppliers around the globe - processing hundreds of thousands of tons of food every month.
We raised over $280mn from some of the world’s best investors like Bessemer Venture Partners, Insight Partners, Coatue Management, and LeftLane Capital. We are the first unicorn to reduce food waste.
We’re working alongside those who built companies like Google, Facebook, Amazon, Uber, Rocket Internet, and more.
Choco is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. We are committed to ensuring that our technology is available and accessible to everyone. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.