Staff Software Engineer
GlossGenius is building an ecosystem enabling entrepreneurs to succeed. We empower small businesses owners to focus on being creators, not admins, by offering a range of business management tools including booking and scheduling, marketing, analytics, payment processing and much more.
Tens of thousands of small business owners have chosen to rely on GlossGenius every day to run their entire set of business operations. With its powerful, intuitive platform, GlossGenius is some part a fintech company, some part an SMB software company, while its vibrant, distinguished brand makes it some part a consumer company.
About the role
As a Staff Software Engineer at GlossGenius you are a technical leader that helps identify and solve technical and business problems faced by your teams. Staff engineers are focused on some of GlossGenius’s most complex and highest impact opportunities scoped to a single domain.
GlossGenius has gone through significant growth supporting tens of thousands of customers and seeing billions of transaction volume on our platforms. As our customers continue to grow their businesses, we want to enable them to be more successful, as a result we’re looking to launch several new product verticals.
As a Staff Software Engineer on one of our new product initiatives, you will join a new product engineering team and be responsible for partnering with cross functional stakeholders to launch a new product vertical from 0 to 1.
This role can be based remotely anywhere in Canada.
What You’ll Do
- Provide technical leadership to a distributed engineering team to design new and enhance existing GlossGenius product offerings
- Advise the GlossGenius leadership team on key technology and product roadmap considerations
- Own problems from end to end, managing complexity and engaging directly with stakeholders to think through everything from business impact, to reliability and operability, to security; always approaching situations with a bias to action
- Work with Product Managers to prioritize roadmap initiatives and be involved in the product ideation process
- Continually drive our engineering standards (code reuse, documentation, testing, etc.) and levels of service forward
- Take high-level business requirements and develop the technical details behind them. Collaborate with Product Managers to write epics and projects and ensure they’re appropriately broken down and prioritized, well understood by the team and sized correctly for continuous deployment
- Architect tools, services and systems using well accepted design patterns to allow for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling
- Uphold GlossGenius’s high standards for engineering and product quality and mentor newer team members to do the same
- Technical mentor to the growing engineering team
What We’re Looking For
- 7+ years of software engineering experience, 3+ years of technical leadership experience
- You have experience building products in a microservice environment, with your primary experience being in backend, fullstack experience is not necessary but a nice to have
- You have excellent product instincts and think about our users first and are able to root decisions in business context. Experience shipping consumer facing products is 0 to 1 is a plus!
- You are able to effectively communicate complex concepts and have experience coordinating across teams to ship critical products
- You have experience with building a long term roadmap and technical vision to tackle complex user problems plus an ability to break it down for other team members to execute on
- You have architectural and system design expertise developing highly scalable and performant distributed systems
- You thrive in a collaborative environment involving different functions, stakeholders, and subject matter experts
- You're a continuous learner - learn and grow constantly to feed your passion for self-improvement and make those around you better
- You're comfortable picking up new technologies (our team currently builds on Ruby, React, React Native, and our stack will continue to evolve.)
Benefits & Perks
- Flexible PTO
- Competitive health & dental insurance options, with premiums covered by GG
- Generous, fully-paid parental leave policy
- Professional Development - employees receive a yearly stipend for approved learning and educational-related expenses
- Home Office Support
- Team Bonding opportunities - annual company retreat for entire team, plus virtual events throughout the year
In order to enter the NY office or participate in any in-person events, all employees must show proof of vaccination against COVID-19. For those individuals who are unable to be vaccinated, GlossGenius will engage in an interactive process to determine a reasonable accommodation.
At GlossGenius, we celebrate our differences and are committed to creating a workplace where all employees feel supported and empowered to do their best work. We believe this benefits not only our employees but our product, customers, and community as well. GlossGenius is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.