Photographer & Content Creator
Chicago, IL, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2023
We’re Tovala, a food-tech company reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and fresh food delivery, we make it incredibly simple for anyone to prepare and enjoy delicious, home-cooked meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. Through our superior technology, product experience and food quality, we have separated Tovala from the busy pack of other meal delivery businesses. In the process, we’ve amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following and our retention, product engagement and customer NPS are all best-in-class. We’ve raised over $100mm from great investors like Left Lane Capital, Origin Ventures, Y Combinator and Comcast Ventures and have invested strongly in building a unique culture that fosters growth, personal development and camaraderie.
Tovala is seeking an experienced Photographer & Content Creator with an ability to create visuals that drive creative storytelling, tailor their creative vision to best meet the desired objective, and craft food imagery and lo-fi content that leaves people hungry for more. Reporting to the Creative Director, the Photographer & Content Creator is a major contributor to the visual impact of the Tovala brand and plays a critical role in continuing our perception as an innovative force in the food-tech space.
This role is perfect if you are eager to take on new challenges, help set the vision for our brand imagery’s look & feel, and have an impact in a fast-moving, collaborative environment. Sound like you? Read on.
How you'll spend your time at Tovala
- Partner with our culinary team to inform and maintain an ownable look and feel for our menu imagery; Help build and implement processes to yield consistent results and a cohesive library
- Collaborate with our Creative and Marketing Teams to contribute to, and provide counsel on, creative concepts for brand campaigns, and further bring these to life through evocative imagery and content that drives our business forward
- Collaborate with food stylists to ensure that our food remains hero, and ever crave-worthy, within our visual storytelling
- Continually assess our photography libraries, identifying gaps in what is needed to best appeal to the many segments within our customer base and best tell the story of our brand against the current landscape
- Drive all aspects of the technical, aesthetic, and production requirements of a photo shoot
- Hold a high bar to ensure that final assets are consistent with brand style guides and are consistent throughout all digital channels
- Work with the Creative and Marketing teams on project planning, providing a point of view on resourcing and timing, and further working with our Creative Operations Manager to translate this work into tangible project plans
- Apply post-processing techniques to all raw photography
- Expertly edit footage, crafting stories that and engage; Working closely with creative peers on branded graphic and motion design treatments that further elevate the final pieces
- Deliver all assets accurately, on-time, and effectively communicate project status
- You're a team player, working with Creative, Marketing, and Culinary peers to tell inspiring visual stories while folding in business objectives
- You're a focused self-starter, who takes direction and elevates it
- A keen eye for composition and shooting techniques with an ability to tailor each to tell the desired story; able to style and art direct their own shoots
- A desire to ever-improve, providing ongoing recommendations to simplify steps throughout workflow and improve quality of output
- An understanding of when to ask second-order questions around creative briefs to identify potential roadblocks and/or strengthen quality
- A strong understanding of digital marketing platforms and ability to tailor compositions accordingly
- Enthusiasm for food and food trends, as well as photo/design trends
- Ability to shoot across a variety of disciplines including product, studio, and lifestyle
- 5+ years of professional experience in a variety of disciplines across photography and editing
- Experience photographing food required; Understanding of food styling best practices and techniques is preferred
- A digital portfolio of relevant work samples is required for consideration
- Technical experience in lighting techniques for both photo and simple (UGC)video, working with both studio and natural light
- An ability to capture simple audio commentary within content creation efforts and apply simple editing techniques in post production
- Proficiency in applying photo and video edits using Adobe Software
Compensation & Benefits
- Tovala uses market data, geography, and placement of internal employees to determine appropriate salary. Additionally, we offer all employees real ownership in the company in the form of a competitive equity package.
- Unlimited paid time off (with a minimum of 15 days off you HAVE to take)
- Comprehensive healthcare coverage we really invest in
- 401k with match
- Free Tovala Smart Oven and discounted Tovala meals
- Paid holidays and our winter holiday office shutdown where the offices and facilities close for a week around Christmas and New Years
- Various other perks - recognition programs, continued learning stipend, casual dress code, in-office coffee, snacks and drinks, and Tovala swag
The values we hold dear
Put the team first
We put what is best for the broader team ahead of what is best for ourselves or our immediate department.
Get s#!t done (well)
We celebrate people at all levels for delivering high impact work that expands the bounds of what we’re able to do.
Connect the dots
We engage with curiosity to learn how our work impacts others so that we can problem-solve holistically and work collaboratively.
We share our perspective openly and directly, even when it feels difficult to do so.
Embrace the obstacles
We rise to meet challenges with a sense of urgency, resolve, and optimism.
Champion the customer
We consider and prioritize our customer in all of our decisions
At Tovala we‘re committed to building a workplace that represents a variety of backgrounds, skills, and perspectives and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Everyone is welcome here!