Senior Product Designer - Funding
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2023
Our mission is to empower eCommerce stores to unlock their full potential. Join us!
Wayflyer is revolutionising eCommerce by levelling the playing field for founders across the world. Our first product, the Merchant Cash Advance, solves a major pain point for brands: access to short-term finance to fund inventory and marketing spend.
Since launching in April 2020, we’ve deployed over $1.5bn in funding to 1,000’s of eCommerce founders across 10 countries.
We’ve helped companies like Wild, Dock & Bay and Branch take their businesses to the next level. Check out this video from Davie Fogherty, another one of our brilliant customers, giving a great explanation of what we do and how we helped The Oodie go from strength to strength.
We’re a fast-growing, venture-backed startup that serves a critical need for eCommerce entrepreneurs. You'll be joining an ambitious, collaborative team that's working on a huge opportunity.
We announced our Series B in February 2022 raising $150m in funding at $1.6bn valuation; backed by world-leading VCs including QED and DST Global.
Teams at Wayflyer are truly cross-functional. Regardless of your role at Wayflyer, you'll work with a variety of different disciplines and teams from around the world on a multitude of challenging projects and game-changing products to revolutionise the eCommerce landscape.
We are able to hire for this position in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany or Portugal.
What you’ll do
- At Wayflyer, product designers work as part of multidisciplinary product teams (primarily composed of Engineering, Product Management and Product Design) – your product team will be your primary team. While these teams are largely autonomous, they’re also able to draw on the skills and expertise of researchers, data analysts, brand and visual designers, and content designers to help them meet their goals. At Wayflyer, product designers identify opportunities and create remarkable solutions that give the founders of the businesses we work with super-powers and the time back they need to build their incredible e-commerce businesses.
- Work with your product team to understand and roadmap its learning and research agenda for the period ahead.
- Collaborate with other product teams at Wayflyer, making sure that our user journeys are coherent, effective and amplify our brand.
- Identify opportunities, develop ideas and design solutions with your team that move us towards our product vision.
- Get into the detail and design elegant, effective, and efficient interfaces and flows that meet user needs. Doing this without ever losing sight of how the changes you are making affect other parts of the user journey.
- Show transparency in your intent and communicate early and often about your ideas and the direction you believe the team needs to move in.
- Ensure the quality of work meets Wayflyer’s implicit and explicit design standards and expectations. This isn’t just about the intent or UI specification: it’s about the quality of experience we give our customers.
Your first 90 days
- Orient yourself in the team and understand the current experience for internal users and customers, understand how this shapes the roadmap for the team.
- Work on identifying and making iterative improvements to the funding journey, focusing on usability and removing friction.
- Work with research to understand how we can improve how customers connect their banking data, and test candidate solutions with users.
- Help develop the experience vision for the funding journey and work with your the team to take these concepts to customers iteratively based on rapid customer feedback loops.
- Raising the standard of service experience for our customers by improving the internal tools and processes our teams across Wayflyer use.
Who you are
- The one thing that will decide if this role is right for you. You must have worked as a mid or early-senior level product designer in an early-stage startup (series A or B) as part of the Product Management/ Product Design/Engineering trio and be able to demonstrate deep working knowledge of operating as a designer whose ‘first team’ is a product team, and the value of working closely with engineers and PMs and making decisions about the product together.
- The ability to go deep into a problem and use insight, research and data to design products that create value for customers.
- Excellent judgment - you’re able to make well-informed decisions and know when to go fast or slow down.
- An effective communicator (be it spoken, written, visual, or dance - that’s up to you) who can persuade and excite others around design concepts.
- A high level of autonomy and comfort with ambiguity, Wayflyer is a startup so you need to enjoy the dynamism and volatility that comes with that, although that’s not a euphemism for chaos or toxicity.
- Entrepreneurial and self-starting - you’re capable of finding ways to contribute towards team and company goals without waiting for direction.
- A passion for continuous improvement and dissatisfaction with status quo; always thinking of ways to improve and move towards goodness.
- A strong portfolio or set of case studies that clearly communicate the problems you've addressed with your design work, the decisions you made, and the impact it has on business and end-user.
What is important to point out is that you can do most or all of the above mentioned and can point to your real experience doing it. You’ve probably done it at companies of different shapes, sizes and industries. Given what we do, experience in financial services, fintech and business-to-business organisations is particularly interesting to us.
On top of that, you’re amazing at prioritisation. You make sure you’re not spread too thin while also giving teams the support they need. You spend your time on the things that make a positive difference. People get why you’ve chosen to say ‘yes’, ‘no’, or ‘not yet’, and are ok with it.
What you’re like as a person and how you treat people is a big deal for us. People love working with you. You’re helpful and generous with your time and knowledge. People love helping you back. People know where they stand with you.
You’re always looking to learn and grow, on a personal and professional level. And you’re always looking to help others learn and grow by sharing your own knowledge and experience.
You know why diversity, equality, inclusion and belonging matters, and speak up when we can do better.
What happens next
We’ll review and respond to every application we receive. If we’re interested in taking your application further, we will be in touch to find out more about you and what you’re looking for.
What perks and benefits do we offer?
Generous paid leave + public holidays
Home working equipment
Supportive parent policies
Offices in Dublin, London, and Sydney
See more open positions at Wayflyer
Something looks off?