Head of Data Science & Analytics
Black Crow AI
IT, Data Science
Posted on Saturday, April 29, 2023
The company + vision.
Everyone’s got the message: machine learning is changing everything. And for Fortune 500 brands in every vertical, it’s actually true — ML predictions are solving billion-dollar, migraine problems. But for smaller brands, the talent and investment needed to build an ML platform are simply out of reach.
Black Crow is changing that--fast. Founded by a team that has spent the last decade in machine learning, our mission is to help DTC brands turbocharge their growth by delivering bespoke, Fortune 500-grade ML predictions. It works out of the box, delivered as a service, and costs less than one data scientist. Integration: one click.
12 months ago, we had one DTC brand using our predictions. Now we have over 150 — including Solo Stove, SAKARA, Native, Keurig, and Bearaby. There are 50,000 more who haven’t heard of us yet.
Black Crow AI recently concluded a $25 million Series A led by top investors in the DTC and B2B SaaS sectors, and is well funded for multiple years
The team + culture.
This is the 3rd company Black Crow’s founders have started together. Both previous companies scaled to >$100MM and were voted ‘Best Places to Work’ in NYC many times.
The founders are building Black Crow to be commercially successful, high growth, and valuable. But that’s insufficient as an end--we’re also building a company that we actually want to work at! That means we are human first--we don’t expect anyone to transform themselves to show up at work. It means working together is a positive force in our lives, not something we tolerate for the paycheck. And it means we see diversity as a strength.
Where you come in:
Black Crow AI is seeking an innovative leader for our top notch data team. We’re looking for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, who isn’t afraid to get their hands dirty while scaling this rapidly growing business. In addition to mentoring and guiding day-to-day data science and analytics, you’ll be a thought leader & hands-on builder who helps scale innovation across all data and machine learning applications at the company. You’ll leverage your expertise to inform company strategy at the executive level and partner with product managers and engineers to identify new areas of innovation across our product suite and the platform tooling and architecture required to support them.
What you’ll do:
- As a member of the executive team, set the long-term strategy for data at Black Crow AI. You’ll stay on top of the latest in the field & determine where we should take risks and place bets on new ideas.
- Coach, mentor, and grow our team of stellar data scientists and product data analysts.
- Set the vision for and partner with engineering teams to develop our data platform and architecture, from data modeling and business intelligence to real-time machine learning deployment and monitoring.
- Be an integral part of product development, applying best practices in experimentation and other quantitative methods to shape product roadmaps.
- Drive the collection of new data and the refinement of existing data sources.
- Research and develop algorithms and predictive models to solve critical business problems.
- Manage work prioritization by asking the right questions
- Communicate brilliantly and develop strong relationships at all levels, internally and externally
You're a leader:
- Proven track record of coaching and developing others, in a leadership or mentoring role
- Insatiable curiosity and love of learning. Ability to go deep and quickly learn new domains
- Enjoy staying on top of cutting edge machine learning research and best practices, and bringing that knowledge to bear in innovative, real-world applications
- Strategic risk-taker with detail-oriented and execution-focused approach. You know what great looks like and when to aim for “good enough.” Self-motivated, flexible, and collaborative - ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment with Product, Engineering, and other partners.
- Strong opinions weakly held. You are knowledgeable in your domain and able to move quickly based on that knowledge, but humble enough to change your mind
- Excellent written and spoken communication; can simplify complex topics into clear and impactful summaries and presentations
- Self-motivated and flexible - with ability to work in fast paced, changing environment
You're a technical expert:
- 8+ years of relevant experience as a Data Scientist or similar position with extensive experience applying analytical and quantitative approaches to a wide range of data and business problems
- Familiarity with relational databases (SQL/PostgreSQL), as well as operational data tasks (ETL, business intelligence platforms)
- Experience leveraging hypothesis testing and other statistical methods to drive product development
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language (Python, Java, Scala) and frameworks appropriate for large scale analysis of structured and unstructured data, feature engineering, and model building.
- Understanding of machine learning algorithms and ML life cycle
- Strong passion for empirical research. Detail-oriented execution-focused approach with good problem-solving and organizational skills.
- Experience with large-scale streaming data
- Familiarity with ecommerce problems
- Deep knowledge of one or more areas of machine learning such as RNNs, recommender systems, graph networks
- Experience with Apache Spark and cloud services like AWS
Bonus points for:
More about us.
+ Virtual-first and welcome employees from anywhere
+ Unlimited paid time off
+ Fridays are yours - complete flexibility on if or how much you focus on Black Crow each Friday
Love your job.
We love our work and our team. Our machine learning helps ‘flick the lights on’ for companies so they see their customers more clearly and can uncover the true potential of their tools and teams. In turn, we strive to do the same for our people. We’re here to shine light on each other and unlock known (and sometimes unexpected) potential.
Our vibrant team accomplishes buckets of awesome every day. We also partake in our fair share of daily laughter. Come build the company you’ve always wanted to work for - with inspiring products and a community of passionate people.
See more open positions at Black Crow AI
Something looks off?